First-Year Experience | Peer Mentors
Mentors play critical roles in assisting first-year students with the transition to San Francisco State University. As First-Year Mentors, students gain leadership, communication and facilitation, peer counseling, planning, presentation and other professional development skills. Potential FYE Mentors should be genuinely concerned with the needs, experiences, and challenges facing new students and actively support them with their successful transition to the campus and life within a contemporary college career. Peer Mentors should be active and be a responsible contributor to the campus community while helping direct students to different opportunities and resources on campus.
Currently, there are no current open positions. Please check back soon for more information!
If you're interested in becoming a First-Year Mentor, please review our qualificaitons below and email Chris Trudell, First-Year Experience Manager your resume. We typically bring on new Peer Mentors near the beginning of the Fall Semster each year. Yet, sometimes we have special projects and a need for more mentors!
First-Year Transition Peer Mentors are student leaders who are interested and dedicated to positively contributing to the first-year experience at San Francisco State University. To be selected as a First-Year Transition Peer Mentor with the New Student Programs Office, you must be a current San Francisco State student in good academic standing and have the willingness to develop as a campus leader. Peer Mentors should represent the best interest of San Francisco State, and reflect on strategies to best support new first-year students their transition to college academics and campus culture.
● A minimum GPA of 2.5 is considered good academic standing
● First-year students are welcomed to apply, yet a grade check will occur mid-term
APPLICANTS FOR FIRST-YEAR TRANSITION PEER LEADERS SHOULD:
● Be able to commit about 5-8 hours a week at the New Student Programs Office
● Have an interest in supporting the transition and demands of first-year students at San Francisco State University
● Have excellent written and verbal communication skills; including social media engagement, and comfort with group work and public speaking
● Be creative and respond to shifting trends and issues concerning to first-year students
● Take initiative and embrace ambiguity
● Be organized and timely
● Be open to receive and follow feedback from upperclassmen, faculty, and professional staff
● Be able to work independently and operate as part of a team
● Complete tasks and projects within a given timeline/deadlines
● Bring personal experiences, interest, and skills to their work
● Be open and curious about theories and the practice of leadership and leadership skills
● Operate to support the responsibilities of New Student Programs, and the Dean of Students Office -- serving as a role model within both the San Francisco State and greater San Francisco community(ies)
● Be in good standing with the University (academically and in the student code of conduct)
First-Year Transition Peer Mentors work under the supervision of the First-Year Experience Manager and supporting staff within New Student Programs. First-Year Peer Mentors will:
● Assist with day-to-day New Student Programs office operations (i.e., answering emails and phones, assisting office projects, and other administrative tasks)
● First-Year Experience marketing, social media, class-visits, campus/quad tabling, and other communication strategies to inform and engage first-year students in University-wide programs, events, and resources
● Participate in staff meetings (New Student Programs, First-Year Experience, one-on-one supervisor meetings, supplemental committee meetings), trainings, and retreats
● Create and facilitate events, workshops, programs, and marketing campaigns
Peer Leaders are expected to dedicate 10 hours a week. To learn more about the position, please contact Chris Trudell, Interim First-Year Experience Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org | 415-338-2526
TERMS OF INVOLVEMENT/LENGTH OF ROLE:
About September 1, 2018 -- December 21, 2018 (please accept there may be alternative start dates pending the interviewing and selection process).
First-Year Transition Peer Mentors will have the opportunity to extend their employment for Spring 2019 or apply for the 2019 Summer Orientation Leader position.
- Applications are due Friday, August 31, 2018, at 5:00 PM. Please complete the application, linked below, and address the prompt detailing your thoughts of the importance of the first-year experience, and how you can contribute to a positive first-year experience at San Francisco State University.
- Applications are submitted online (via the form below), and all applicants should submit a resume (in PDF document form) via email to Chris Trudell at email@example.com.
$12.00/hour; flexible schedule with students' course schedule. The role will require after hour programs and events.
INTERVIEW AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Candidates will be contacted to participate in a formal interview with New Student Program staff from September 5-8, 2018. Interviews will be scheduled based on individual schedules and open office hours.
Final selections will be made by Friday, September 8, 2018.
Application URL: https://sfsu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_etAWQ7Yqs387MW1